Creating Beauty

As a child, I was frightened by a humongous Kissy doll. At 3, it was as big as I was and when you pulled it's hands together it made a smacking or a supposed kissing sound. I was sure it would get up and get me......making smacking sounds as it neared my bed.

Now I make dolls.....some are supposed to be scary, but most just reflect how I look at beauty. To me we have a very narrow view of what beauty is and is not. I have cerebral palsy and don't think I'm whining about it I'm not. I'm lucky my case is very mild compared to some people's. But you can pick me out as different, I walk awkwardly, but my arm and leg work correctly.....for someone with a partially paralyzed arm and leg.

I look like someone with CP is supposed to and in my way I'm attractive. I try to reflect alternative beauty in the dolls I create and so in some ways I'm still dealing with fear, but now it's not my own.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Tilly - Creature of the Night

Little Tilly was a long time coming. Sometimes dolls just seem to create themselves. This little bat seemed to know what she wanted, I got to her wings and the ideas just disappeared.  I put her away over a year ago and for got about her.

I found the tie dyed fabric I used on her wings and I remembered my little bat awaiting a better set of wings. I got her out of my supply closet and cut the lime green with red splotches I had originally used for the interior of the wings off the armature. No. I have no idea what I was thinking .....lime green and red...yuck.

I think it was part of my slow decent into illness. Now that I'm better my design sense has come back.

One thing I really like on Tilly is all the yarns I used on her hair. I was looking at a hair style site and admiring all the different styles that were dreadlocks or braided  when I was trying to decide how to style her hair.

I really like the results of  researching  hair styles I had not used before now.  Even though she gave me fits I'm really happy I attempted to revive her. Going back and reworking a doll isn't something I usually do, but looking back at my dolls from 2012, I really feel that these half finished pieces  will be better if I rework aspects of these pieces.
Y



No comments:

Post a Comment