Creating Beauty

As a child, I was frightened by a humongous Kissy doll. At 3, it was as big as I was and when you pulled it's hands together it made a smacking or a supposed kissing sound. I was sure it would get up and get me......making smacking sounds as it neared my bed.

Now I make dolls.....some are supposed to be scary, but most just reflect how I look at beauty. To me we have a very narrow view of what beauty is and is not. I have cerebral palsy and don't think I'm whining about it I'm not. I'm lucky my case is very mild compared to some people's. But you can pick me out as different, I walk awkwardly, but my arm and leg work correctly.....for someone with a partially paralyzed arm and leg.

I look like someone with CP is supposed to and in my way I'm attractive. I try to reflect alternative beauty in the dolls I create and so in some ways I'm still dealing with fear, but now it's not my own.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Buddhist Business Owner......5. Right Livelihood

This means a way of earning money and a lifestyle which does not harm other beings and, preferably, benefits them.
Buddhism teaches that the following ways of earning money are wrong.
Anything to do with making
  • weapons and warfare.
  • Any business which exploits its workers or controls them like slaves.
  • Any business which produces poisons or pollutes the environment.
  • Trade in meat, fish or the killing of living creatures.
  • Trade in alcohol or addictive drugs.
  • Any job which involves telling lies or deceiving customers or misleading advertising or high-pressure salesmanship.
Buddhism teaches that you should do what you can to reduce the harm you do to the environment and the natural world.
Buddhism also teaches that you shouldn’t seek lots of expensive things which you don’t really need. The latter can lead to you wasting your life working for these possessions or looking after them or running up debts which then mess up your life.
http://www.reep.org/gardens/buddhism/eightfold-path.php#top


-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's not a great deal I can add to this section. Obviously cruelty, greed and deception are not part of a Buddhist based business plan.

This needle felted Green Tara can be found in this etsy shop  Fickle Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment